N115bn PAP Budget, N65,000 Stipend: Ex-Agitators Challenge Tinubu, Set August 19 Deadline, Demand Urgent Intervention And Forensic Audit

By Passman Akpos
A coalition of former agitators and beneficiaries of the Presidential Amnesty Programme (PAP) has appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to urgently review the monthly stipends paid to genuine beneficiaries, conduct an independent forensic audit of the programme and reinstate beneficiaries allegedly removed from its database.
The group, operating under the banner of United Ex-Agitators of the Niger Delta, made the demands in a letter dated August 12, 2026, addressed to President Tinubu and sent to Tarakirivoice.
In the letter signed by its spokesman, Charles Warmate, the group commended the Federal Government for the reported increase in the budgetary allocation of the Presidential Amnesty Programme from N65 billion to N115 billion, describing the development as an indication of the administration’s commitment to peace, stability and development in the Niger Delta.
However, the ex-agitators argued that the increase in PAP’s budgetary provision had not translated into an improvement in the monthly stipend of beneficiaries, which they said remains at N65,000.
According to the group, the current stipend has become inadequate amid rising inflation and the increasing cost of living across the country.
They therefore appealed to President Tinubu to direct the PAP Administrator to review and increase the monthly stipends of genuine beneficiaries to reflect prevailing economic realities and what they described as the programme’s increased financial capacity.
Ex-Agitators Demand Independent Forensic Audit
One of the major demands contained in the letter is the engagement of an independent external organisation, preferably a credible international auditing firm, to conduct a comprehensive forensic audit of PAP.
The group said such an audit would promote transparency, accountability and public confidence in the management of the programme.
They raised concerns over what they described as the alleged inclusion of individuals who are not genuine PAP beneficiaries among recipients of scholarships and empowerment opportunities.
The group also alleged that some legitimate beneficiaries had been removed or deleted from the programme without what it considered a transparent and satisfactory review process.
It consequently called for a comprehensive forensic verification exercise to identify genuine beneficiaries allegedly excluded from PAP and facilitate their reinstatement for training, empowerment and continued support.
‘Resources Must Reach Intended Beneficiaries’
The former agitators maintained that an independent audit would help identify irregularities, resolve longstanding concerns and ensure that funds allocated for peace and development in the Niger Delta reach the people for whom the programme was established.
The group’s demand comes against the backdrop of continuing concerns among PAP beneficiaries over stipends, scholarships, training, empowerment opportunities and beneficiary verification.
They urged the Federal Government to ensure greater transparency in the administration of scholarships, training programmes and empowerment initiatives.
60-Day Dialogue Window To Expire August 19
The group also informed President Tinubu that it had allowed a 60-day period for dialogue and resolution of its concerns, beginning on June 20 and expected to expire on August 19, 2026.
The ex-agitators stressed that they remained committed to peaceful engagement, constructive dialogue and the pursuit of solutions through lawful and democratic means.
They called on the President to intervene before the expiration of the stated period.
Their specific demands include an upward review of the monthly stipends of genuine PAP beneficiaries, an independent forensic audit of the programme, reinstatement of legitimate beneficiaries removed after proper verification, and greater transparency and accountability in PAP’s scholarship, training and empowerment programmes.
The group concluded its letter by expressing appreciation to President Tinubu for his administration’s efforts towards peace and development in the Niger Delta, while urging him to give the demands urgent and favourable consideration.
The allegations and concerns raised in the letter represent the position of the United Ex-Agitators of the Niger Delta. The group did not provide supporting documents for the specific allegations concerning the alleged inclusion of non-genuine beneficiaries or deletion of legitimate beneficiaries in the letter made available to Tarakirivoice.


