Tension In Ekeremor: Bilabiri Leaders Petition Governor, Police, JTF Over Alleged Armed Threats

By Passman Akpos
Community leaders in Bilabiri, Ekeremor Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, have petitioned the state government, police and other security agencies over alleged armed invasions, threats to lives and property, and disputed black-sand mining activities on land claimed by the community.
The petition, submitted through the community’s lawyers, was addressed to the Commissioner of Police, Bayelsa State Command, and copied to the Assistant Inspector-General of Police, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Joint Task Force (JTF), Governor of Bayelsa State, the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Security and other relevant security authorities.
The petitioners — represented by Bilabiri Community Development Committee Chairman, Chief Tekenane Abaka; CDC Secretary, Mr. Ebike Adams; National President of Bilabiri Ibe Ware, Paebi Samson; High Chief Gelu Friday; and High Chief Esau Olumofa — said they were compelled to seek urgent intervention following what they described as repeated incidents capable of destabilising the community.
Alleged Armed Invasion
According to the petition, the first major incident occurred on August 17, 2026, when about 12 men allegedly arrived in Bilabiri from Amatu II Community in a speedboat.
The community leaders alleged that the group included individuals identified as Mr. Man Job, Fine-Boy Job and Ebiyekon Timakawei, alongside four unidentified persons allegedly dressed in NSCDC uniforms.
They further alleged that some members of the group were carrying sophisticated firearms, including two General Purpose Machine Guns (GPMGs), a G3 rifle and AK-47 rifles.
The petition claimed that the men allegedly moved around the community waterfront while singing war songs and firing shots intermittently, triggering panic among residents and causing some people to flee.
The community leaders alleged that the group subsequently entered the community and issued threats against Bilabiri.

According to the petition, the men allegedly stopped at one of the community’s jetties and claimed they had been sent by their Paramount Ruler, Chief Ibane Joel Ekeni, to “wipe out” Bilabiri Community.

The petitioners also alleged that members of the group claimed to have undergone spiritual or “war protection” rituals which they believed would protect them from attacks.
Black-Sand Mining Dispute At Centre Of Allegations
The community leaders said the alleged confrontation was linked to disputed black-sand mining activities on the Agoliyo, also referred to as Bilabiri-Ilaje, land.
They maintained that the land belongs to Bilabiri Community and alleged that individuals involved in the mining activities had previously been asked to stop their operations peacefully.

However, the petitioners claimed that instead of complying, the individuals allegedly resorted to intimidation and threats.
The community leaders alleged that the August 17 incident was connected to attempts to prevent Bilabiri residents from opposing the alleged mining activities.
According to the petition, the group reportedly left after about an hour but allegedly returned roughly 30 minutes later.

During the second visit, the petitioners alleged that the men warned that Bilabiri residents would be wiped out if they attempted to prevent the alleged mining operations from continuing.
Fresh Alleged Incursion On August 19
The community leaders further alleged that the situation escalated on August 19 at about 2pm when the same individuals and their associates allegedly returned to the waterfront in two speedboats.
According to the petition, the men were allegedly armed and fired shots while issuing further threats against the community.
The petitioners alleged that the men warned that Bilabiri could be attacked at any time if residents continued to oppose their alleged mining activities.
They also expressed concern over alleged threats of kidnapping directed at some community leaders.
The petition claimed that the repeated incidents had created widespread fear, with some residents allegedly leaving the community because of concerns over possible attacks, kidnapping and loss of life.
Concern Over Alleged Use Of NSCDC Uniforms
One of the issues highlighted by the community leaders was the alleged presence of individuals wearing NSCDC uniforms.
They called on the relevant authorities to establish the identities of the uniformed persons and determine whether they were genuine serving personnel or individuals allegedly impersonating security officers.
The petitioners said the issue required urgent investigation because the alleged use of security uniforms during a confrontation could further heighten tension and undermine public confidence in security institutions.
Leaders Demand Urgent Investigation
The community leaders urged the security agencies to conduct a comprehensive investigation into the alleged incidents.
Among the issues they want investigated are the identities of the alleged attackers, the reported possession and use of firearms, alleged threats to kill and kidnap residents, alleged threats to destroy the community, the disputed black-sand mining activities and the alleged use of NSCDC uniforms.
They also appealed for immediate preventive security measures to stop further incursions and protect residents.
The petitioners warned that failure to act could potentially result in loss of lives, kidnapping, arson, attempted murder or a wider communal conflict.
They stressed that their intention was not to escalate the dispute but to prevent violence and ensure that disagreements over land and natural resources were resolved through lawful and peaceful channels.
“Act Before It Is Too Late”
The Bilabiri leaders therefore appealed to the Bayelsa State Government, police, JTF, NSCDC and other security agencies to treat the matter as urgent.
They called for a thorough investigation and appropriate action against anyone found to have committed offences, while urging authorities to put measures in place to prevent further confrontation.
The petitioners maintained that the combination of alleged armed incursions, threats to life, alleged kidnapping threats and the dispute over black-sand mining had created a volatile situation requiring immediate intervention.
They urged the authorities to act before the alleged threats translate into actual violence, stressing that protecting lives, property and communal peace should remain the priority of all parties.
The allegations contained in the petition remain claims requiring independent investigation and verification by the relevant authorities.



